CBD oil, or cannabidiol oil, is an active ingredient found in cannabis. It is not psychoactive, unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). CBD oil is created by extracting CBD from the cannabis plant and diluting it with a carrier oil such as coconut or hemp seed oil. According to a 5,000-person survey, more than 60% of CBD users were taking it for anxiety.
Cannabidiol is a well-known natural remedy for a variety of ailments.
CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of over 100 chemical compounds known as cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant, Cannabis sativa. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive cannabinoid found in cannabis, which causes the high sensation that is commonly associated with cannabis. CBD, unlike THC, is not psychoactive. Because of this, CBD is an appealing option for those seeking relief from pain and other symptoms without the mind-altering effects of cannabis or the other side effects associated with some pharmaceutical drugs. CBD oil is created by extracting CBD from the cannabis plant and diluting it with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil.
This article discusses the six scientific proof health benefits of CBD and as well as possible consequences and safety concerns associated with CBD products.
1- Alleviate the symptoms associated with some mental health issues
- Anxiety and other mental conditions can have a negative impact on one’s general health and well-being. Pharmaceutical drugs are frequently used to treat mental health disorders, which can result in drowsiness, agitation, insomnia, sexual dysfunction, and headaches.
- Furthermore, medications such as benzodiazepines have the potential for addiction and may result in substance use disorder. CBD oil clearly shows promise as a therapy for some mental health disorders, such as depression and anxiety, which has piqued the interest of many people who suffer from these conditions.
- In a Brazilian study, 57 men were given either oral Cannabidiol or a placebo 90 minutes before a simulated speaking in public test. The researchers discovered that a 300-mg dose of CBD reduced anxiety significantly during the test.
- There was little to no effect reported in those who took the placebo, a 150-mg CBD dose, or a 600-mg CBD dose.
- CBD oil has been shown to be effective in treating insomnia and anxiety in children suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a type of anxiety disorder. A small 2019 study also discovered that CBD was effective for reducing PTSD-related symptoms in adults, including nightmares.
- Several other studies have discovered that CBD may be beneficial for people suffering from social anxiety and other anxiety-related disorders (15Trusted Source). Despite the fact that some people report that CBD alleviates depression symptoms, human evidence of CBD’s potential antidepressant abilities is currently lacking.
- In fact, a study examining the potential efficacy of 150-300 mg of CBD per day for 12 weeks on anxiety and depression symptoms in people with bipolar disorder.
2- May be beneficial to heart health
- A few studies have connected CBD to a variety of heart and circulatory system benefits, including the ability to lower high blood pressure.
- High blood pressure has been linked to an increased risk of a variety of health problems, including stroke, heart attack, and metabolic syndrome.
- In a small study, nine healthy men were given 600 mg of CBD oil. When compared to a placebo, the CBD treatment reduced resting blood pressure.
- The men also participated in stress tests, which normally raise blood pressure, in the same study. Surprisingly, a single dose of CBD caused the men to have a lower blood pressure increase than usual in response to these tests.
- Another study involving 26 healthy men discovered that taking 600 mg of CBD for 7 days resulted in significant reductions in blood pressure in the short term when compared to a placebo group. The effect, however, was lost after 7 days.
- After repeated doses, the CBD group had lower blood pressure levels in response to stress than the placebo group.
- The researchers also discovered that when compared to the placebo group, the CBD group had reduced arterial stiffness and improved blood flow through their arteries after repeated CBD dosing.
- Overall, these findings are encouraging, but more research into the potential benefits of CBD treatment on heart health is needed.
3- Pain relief is possible
- Since 2900 B.C., cannabis has been used to treat pain.
- Scientists have recently discovered that only certain elements of cannabis, along with CBD, are mainly accountable for its pain-relieving properties.
- The endocannabinoid system is a specialized system in the human body that regulates a variety of functions such as sleep, appetite, pain sensation, and immune system response.
- Endocannabinoids are neurotransmitters produced by the body that bind to cannabinoid receptors in the nervous system.
- CBD has been shown in studies to help reduce chronic pain by influencing endocannabinoid receptor activity, decreasing inflammation, and interacting with neurotransmitters.
- Some research suggests that when used alone, CBD may be effective for certain types of pain, such as nerve pain and back pain. It appears to be most effective when combined with THC.
- Several human studies have found that combining CBD and THC is effective in treating pain associated with MS and arthritis.
- Sativex (nabiximols), an oral spray containing a 1:1 mixture of THC and CBD, is approved in several countries to treat pain associated with MS.
- A study involving 47 people with MS looked at the effects of taking Sativex for a month. The participants’ pain, walking ability, and muscle spasms all improved.
- However, because the study lacked a control group, placebo effects cannot be ruled out.
- According to one review, Sativex may help people with MS-related neuropathic pain and chronic severe neuropathic pain. The review also discovered that Sativex may help relieve anxiety and stress, both of which are major contributors to chronic pain. Furthermore, some research suggests that CBD may help with the symptoms of rheumatic diseases like fibromyalgia.
- A survey of 2,701 people with fibromyalgia found that those who used CBD for pain relief reported a slight to significant improvement in symptoms.
- Furthermore, preclinical evidence from rodent studies suggests that CBD may be beneficial for arthritis pain and inflammation, but human studies are lacking.
- Although researchers are cautiously optimistic that CBD may be useful in the treatment of certain types of pain, particularly when combined with THC, more high-quality studies are needed to determine its efficacy in pain management.
4- Certain cancer-related symptoms may be relieved
- CBD may help alleviate some cancer-related side effects and symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and pain.
- An older study looked into the effects of CBD and THC in 177 people suffering from cancer-related pain who had not found relief from pain medication.
- Those who received an extract containing both compounds reported significantly less pain than those who received only THC extract.
- An evaluation of five studies discovered some proof that Sativex may help some people with cancer-related pain.
- However, research on the effects of cannabis and cannabinoids like CBD on cancer-related nausea, pain, and decreased appetite has yielded conflicting results.
- Although CBD may be beneficial for some cancer patients, more research is required to determine whether CBD should be used more frequently in cancer symptom management.
- If you have cancer and want to use CBD or other cannabis-derived products, you should talk to your doctor first. These products may not be suitable, safe, or effective for all cancer patients.
5- Neuroprotective properties may exist
- CBD’s capacity to act on the endocannabinoid system and other brain-signaling systems, according to researchers, may provide benefits for those suffering from neurological disorders.
- Indeed, one of the most researched CBD applications is in the treatment of neurological disorders such as epilepsy and multiple sclerosis. Despite the fact that research in this area is still in its early stages, several studies have yielded promising results.
- Sativex has been demonstrated to be a safe and effective treatment for MS-related muscle spasticity.
- It lowered spasms in 75% of 276 persons with MS who were beginning to experience medication-resistant muscle spasticity.
- In another study, 214 people with severe epilepsy were given 0.9-2.3 grams of CBD oil per pound (2-5 grams per kg) of body weight. Their seizures were reduced by 36.5% on average.
- Another study discovered that CBD oil, when compared to a placebo, significantly reduced seizure activity in children with Dravet syndrome, a complex childhood epilepsy disorder.
- However, some participants in both studies experienced adverse reactions to CBD treatment, such as convulsions, fever, and fatigue.
- CBD has also been studied for its potential efficacy in treating a variety of other neurological diseases.
- Several studies, for example, have found that CBD treatment may improve quality of life and sleep quality in people with Parkinson’s disease.
- However, the researchers point out that there is currently a scarcity of high-quality data. That is, there is insufficient evidence to support the use of CBD in the clinical treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
- However, the FDA has approved one CBD product for the treatment of several seizure disorders.
- The FDA approved Epidiolex, a prescription cannabidiol product, in 2018 for the treatment of seizures associated with two severe forms of epilepsy, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome.
- Epidiolex was approved by the FDA in 2020 to treat seizures caused by tuberous sclerosis complex, a rare genetic disease that causes benign tumors to grow in the brain and other areas of the body.
6- Additional prospective advantages
In addition to the health conditions listed above, CBD has also been investigated for its potential use in treating a variety of other conditions.
Although additional research is required, it is believed that cannabidiol, or CBD, contains the following health advantages:
- Effects antipsychotic in nature.
Studies have shown that cannabidiol (CBD) may help people with mental health conditions such as schizophrenia and other conditions by reducing the symptoms of psychosis.
- Treatment for addiction to substances.
People who are addicted to certain drugs, such as heroin, may find that cannabidiol (CBD) is helpful in reducing feelings of anxiety and depression.
- There is a possibility of extending patients’ lives who have glioblastoma.
Recent studies suggest that treatment with a combination of CBD and THC may help to extend the life of some people who have an aggressive form of cancer called glioblastoma; however, research into this topic is still in its infancy.
- Possible improvement in sleep.
Although additional research is required, some studies have found that CBD may help people who suffer from certain sleep disorders get a better night’s rest.
Possible adverse reactions to products containing CBD
Even though CBD is generally well tolerated and is thought to be safe, it is possible that some people will have negative reactions to it.
Studies have identified the following potential adverse effects:
- Symptoms including loss of appetite
- Weight gain
What are the Claims?
- In studies on childhood epilepsy, a variety of other adverse effects, such as abnormal results on tests measuring liver function, drowsiness, sedation, and pneumonia, have been reported. However, it’s possible that these effects are the result of CBD interacting with other medications, like clobazam.
- In point of fact, CBD has the potential to interact with a number of medications, including analgesics, antidepressants, drugs used to treat seizures, and medicines used to treat diabetes. Consult a medical expert prior to using CBD oil so that you can determine its level of risk and stay away from substances that could interact negatively with it.
- In addition, it is essential to point out that the market is currently flooded with CBD products, the majority of which are of poor quality. This is an important consideration. CBD is added to a wide variety of products, including foods, beverages, dietary supplements, and body care items. These products are commonly marketed as a means to alleviate stress, pain, and sleep problems. Despite this, it is not necessary for you to incorporate any of these components into your diet or other wellness practices.
- In addition, the majority of products contain a combination of components, not just CBD by itself. For instance, dietary supplements that contain CBD in addition to a mixture of herbal ingredients might not be safe for everyone. This is due to the fact that many herbs have the potential to interact with commonly prescribed medications.
- Talk to a qualified medical professional about the appropriate dosing of CBD products and any other concerns or questions you might have before using any CBD products.
- If you do decide to use a CBD product, make sure to select one that has been verified by an independent lab to ensure its high level of quality and purity.
- Both NuLeaf Naturals and Bluebird Botanicals sell Cannabis products that go through testing at accredited third-party labs and provide batch reports on their respective websites. NuLeaf Naturals and Bluebird Botanicals both sell CBD products.
How to use CBD oil?
There are many ways to use CBD oil, depending on what you are looking for. Some people enjoy using it topically, such as in a topical lotion or cream. Others take it orally, including in capsules or drops. Still others vaporize it, adding it to e-cigarettes or other devices. Some people also enjoy using CBD oil tinctures, which are made by mixing CBD oil with alcohol or other substances. Tinctures can be mixed with water or other drinks, making them easy to take on the go.
How Do You Prepare CBD Vape Juice At Home?
CBD oil has been researched for its potential role in alleviating symptoms of a variety of common health conditions, including anxiety and neurological disorders. Furthermore, it may benefit heart health and aid in the relief of certain types of pain. Keep in mind that some of these health benefits are associated with the use of CBD in conjunction with THC, rather than CBD alone. CBD research into the effects on specific conditions is ongoing, and there is still much to learn about the potential uses of CBD. If you want to try CBD to manage a health condition or improve your overall health, consult with a healthcare professional first. They can advise you on whether adding a CBD product to your routine is appropriate and assist you in selecting the best product.
ALSO READ: 5 Adventurous CBD Bath Bombs to Relax and Pamper Yourself
Q. Is CBD a scam or not?
CBD oil is not a scam. It has been proven to be effective for many different purposes, including reducing anxiety, treating chronic pain, and improving sleep. There is no harm in trying it out, and there are many positive benefits to taking it.
Q. How does CBD work?
CBD works by interacting with receptors in the brain. It seems to help reduce symptoms related to a variety of conditions, like chronic pain, anxiety, and depression.
Q. What is the best CBD oil for anxiety?
For anxiety, we recommend our CBD hemp oil which is a blend of both CBD and hemp extract. It has a very low concentration of THC so it is good for people who are looking to avoid psychoactive effects.