CBD is also known as cannabidiol. It is one of the most common ingredients that provides biologically active effects in a body when consumed. CBD is an important ingredient of medical marijuana. It is either extracted directly from hemp, a close relative of marijuana or manufactured in a laboratory. CBD, one of the hundreds of components in marijuana, does not produce the feeling of a “high” on its own. CBD has no psychoactive properties. Because of this, CBD is an appealing option for those seeking relief from discomfort and other symptoms alone without the mind-altering effects of cannabis or the other side effects associated with some pharmaceutical drugs.
Side Effects of CBD
CBD is generally considered a safe drug when applied topically or ingested orally. However, there are some possible side effects to consider when utilizing this substance, a large percentage of which are minor.
Drowsiness, gastrointestinal issues, dry mouth, decreased appetite, nausea, and interactions with other medications are the most commonly reported CBD side effects. These are discussed in detail below.
- Drowsiness and sedation are two common side effects of CBD use.
- It is also considered a benefit, but doctors warn that the impact may be too strong if you take CBD alongside other sedative medications.
- Gastrointestinal Problems
- When using CBD, some people may experience diarrhea or liver problems.
- The individual and their medical history determine it, so close monitoring is required.
- Mouth Dryness
- CBD, also known as cotton mouth, has the potential to make your mouth and eyes feel extremely dry.
- Though THC is more likely to cause this side effect, CBD can also cause it.
- Other Medications May Interact
- CBD may get mixed up with other medications you are taking and will react.
- It is critical to consult with your doctor about whether CBD may interfere with your current prescriptions.
- Those who take CBD supplements may experience nausea in some cases.
- It is determined by the individual’s sensitivity to the CBD and the amount consumed.
Your doctor may advise you not to use CBD oil if you:
- Have liver disease
- CBD oil may increase liver enzymes, a sign of inflammation in the liver.
- Before using CBD oil, consult with your doctor. If you use CBD, you should have your liver enzymes checked regularly.
- Have vision problems
- CBD oil may cause vision problems.
- According to a 2018 study, it may increase intraocular pressure.
- It can aggravate the condition of people who have glaucoma.
- Some users of CBD oil report dry eyes as a side effect.
- Are pregnant or nursing:
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding lady, you should refrain from using CBD oil.
- CBD does travel through the placenta, even though its effects are not properly known.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) advises pregnant women not to use marijuana products due to the risks to developing fetuses
- Consume alcohol or other sedative medications:
- When combined with these drugs, CBD may cause excessive drowsiness.
- Children should not use CBD oil.
What Happens If I Take CBD in Excess?
- Adults appear to tolerate doses of up to 1500 milligrams (mg) per day well.
- Keep an eye out for severe complications such as fatigue, appetite changes, seizures, or pneumonia. Also, keep in mind that CBD may be degraded, contain unlisted ingredients such as THC, and may not have the amount of CBD listed on the bottle.
- Children are particularly vulnerable. Children who ingested too much CBD oil unintentionally experienced dangerously slowed respiration.
- CBD is also found in numerous foods and beverages in the United States, so if you intend to ingest these, consult your healthcare provider about your total daily dose.
ALSO READ: CBD Boxes
Because CBD supplements are available in numerous varieties in the form of different products, such as oils, gummies, tinctures, and vapors, the amount swallowed up can vary greatly. This, combined with the individual, will ultimately determine which (if any) CBD side effects you may experience. It is gaining popularity in the health and wellness industry, with some scientific studies indicating that it may alleviate symptoms of conditions such as chronic pain and anxiety. However, it has some severe side effects.
ALSO READ: CBD Recipes